Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The One After 9-0-9...


... is 8-0-3.



My baby said she's travellin' on the One After 9-0-9
I said "move over honey, I'm travellin' on that line."

For my first two nights in Kyoto, I stayed in Room 909 -- a number reminiscent of an old Beatles' song.

Single room. View over the air conditioning units. 7,000JPY per night (about 90 Australian dollars). When in bed, my feet touched one wall and my head touched the opposite wall.

On the third day, I planned to stay in the town of Uji and see the Ukai (cormorant fishing) that starts at 6pm every night.

But my trip to Okayama and back took too long, so I had to hopefully ask at the Kyoto Tower Hotel if they had a room available for me for a third night.

They did.

Room 8-0-3.

Still with a panoramic view of the air conditioning units, but the bed this time was aligned along the room's longer axis, so at least I didn't get that Edgar Allan Poe feeling of a shrinking bedroom.

Not that I spent much time in the room. Kyoto, you see, has got all these magic little neighbourhood bars where you can sit drinking and talking until sunrise with the most extraordinary of people...

No comments:

Post a Comment